Dear New River Gorge Yoga Festival Family,
Over the past month or so, we have gone back and forth countless times on whether or not to continue on with the festival. In many ways we wanted to give everyone something to look forward to and an escape from the world being tipped on end. On the other hand, everyone’s safety is key. With this in mind, we have decided to postpone our inaugural event to August 2021. It was a difficult decision to make, but in the interest of the safety of our community, teachers, and volunteers, it is the right thing to do.
We are incredibly gracious to those of you that have supported this year’s event from the beginning and hope that we can only create more interest with the extra time we will now have.
The recent outbreak of cases in our county here in West Virginia in particular underscored the likelihood that the summer will remain uncertain regarding the reach of the virus and the ability to hold large gatherings. Events across our mountain state are struggling with the same decisions and although our event was to be held mostly outdoors, social distancing guidelines, and the constant possibility of rain which would drive us to inside venues, would leave a veil of uncertainty as to whether or not we were keeping everyone safe. Plus, who wants to wear a mask all day while practicing yoga and trying to chant their heart out?
Other factors that lead to this decision included:
- Reduced sponsorship amounts as all businesses have been negatively impacted
- Potential consumer fear to gather in large groups in addition to state guidelines not released yet for large groups
- Planning, infrastructure, and advertising expense that can’t be recovered if the event does not take place
- Potential difficulty recruiting volunteers because of safety concerns
- Restrictions in travel for teachers and attendees as well as their own safety concerns
Studios that have been closed are just starting to reopen their doors with restricted numbers, social distancing and increased cleaning standards. While we are certainly capable of putting guidelines in place, the ideas we have for our first event would all come to a halt and it would not be the event we want to put out there. We have no idea what the end of summer will look like and do not want to wage the risks.
That all being said, please stick with us through all this. We are brainstorming virtual events, and once things have cleared a little more, maybe even some weekend studio take-overs and mini-events leading up to NRG Yoga Festival 2021.
If you have already purchased a ticket, we have a few options for you moving forward:
- Roll your ticket to the 2021 event without any additional fees if ticket prices change.
- Donate your ticket value to the event
- We know this is an uncertain time and we have already incurred some expenses that will have to in some way be recouped to successfully start up the 2021 planning. If you are not able to make the new dates, but still have the means to donate, we would greatly appreciate it.
- Request a refund. We get it, times are tough. Let us know if this is the option you choose and we will start the process.
If you have reserved lodging or activities through ACE Adventure Resort please reach out to them to reschedule and see what options are. Agnes will be your best point of contact within group sales.
Please understand that although Erin and Kelsey have been in the yoga industry for quite some time, and Kelsey in the reservations/event industry for a good bit, this is a new process and event for us and we want to do it to the best of our ability. We greatly appreciate your patience and hope to see you all very soon. We are always open to suggestions and input so do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility,
Erin Larsen and Kelsey Regan